Award Winning Recipe for Clam Chowder
Chef Eric Jungklaus from Tony's Seafood Restaurant shares his clam chowder recipe with a kick of flavor.
Basic Ingredients for a chowder base:
Flour, Butter, Celery, Onion, Vegetable Stock, Salt & Pepper
• Substitute CLAM JUICE for vegetable stock.
• Sautee celery and onion in separate pan, then add to base.
Basic Ingredients to finish your chowder:
Chopped Clams, Celery, Potatoes, Wine, Bacon, Whole Milk, Carrots, Onions
• Use RED ONIONS & RED POTATOES.
• Try Hardwood Smoked Bacon.
• Chop bacon and pan cook until golden brown.
• Add some of the bacon pan drippings to your chowder.
• Use half-n-half and heavy cream instead of plain milk.
This will give a thicker, heartier texture and flavor.
• Avoid carrots.
Typical Chowder Seasonings:
Bay leaf, hot sauce, dill weed, black pepper & salt
• Chopped Garlic will give your chowder a kick.
• Butter adds flavor, color and a little sweetness.
• Try some dry spice blends: Parsley flakes, black pepper, white pepper, green and red pepper, red pepper flakes
Key: Wisk dry spice blend into half-n-half before adding to chowder.
Most people heat chowder on a stove in a sauce pan.
• Dust off your crock pot! When your recipe is complete, give the chowder’s flavors an hour or more to all come together.
Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.