Jury To Deliberate Sentence For Man Convicted Of Two Murders
Updated On: Nov 30 2005 05:28:46 AM EST
The sentencing phase of a trial of a man convicted of the murder of a woman and her baby was delayed briefly Wednesday while the forewoman of jury was questioned about whether she knew the victim.
Two weeks ago, John Mosley Jr. was convicted of first-degree murder in the strangling death of Wilkes and the suffocation death of her 10-month old son, Jay-Quan, in 2004.
Mosley's defense attorney told the judge that the forewoman was a classmate of Wilkes, but when Judge Michael Weatherby questioned her, she said she did not attend school with Wilkes and had never met her.
With that issue resolved, victim impact statements began.
All four of Lynda Wilkes' children testified for the prosecution, which is seeking the death penalty in the case.
"If I could say something to my mom and my brother, it would be: I love them, I wouldn't be anything without them and that I miss them," said 8-year-old Bryanda Thompkinson said.
The defense called only two witnesses: Mosley's mother and a close friend.
Channel 4's Jennifer Waugh said they originally wanted to call 22 character witnesses, but Mosley wouldn't allow it.
During the lunch recess, Mosley asked to read a five-page statement that he wrote, but changed his mind when he was told that prosecutors could then ask him questions.
Mosley then said he'd like to take the stand and tell the jury to "finish the job." The judge said that was not in the best interest, and Mosley did not testify.
Both sides made closing arguments Wednesday afternoon. The jury will now deliberate on a sentence recommendation.
- November 18, 2005: John Mosley Guilty Of Killing Ex-Girlfriend, Baby
- November 17, 2005: Defendant's Wife Last Witness In His Double-Murder Trial
- November 15, 2005: Defendant In Double Murder Trial May Testify
- November 10, 2005: Witness Tells Of Screaming Baby Being Stuffed Into Bag
- November 9, 2005: Prosecution To Seek Death Penalty In Deaths Of Mother, Child
- November 7, 2005: Man Goes On Trial For Allegedly Killing Woman, 10-Month-Old Son
- July 2, 2004: Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty For Man Accused Of Murdering Woman, Infant
- May 28, 2004: Man Accused Of Killing Woman, Infant Pleads Not Guilty
- May 7, 2004: Mosley Charged With Killing Ex-Girlfriend, Baby
- May 6, 2004: Mosley, Teen Charged With Murder; Landfill Search For Baby Ends
- May 3, 2004: Police Search South Georgia Landfill For Baby's Body
- May 3, 2004: Mosley In Court For Paternity Hearing
- April 30, 2004: Mosley Jailed; Investigation Into Missing Woman, Baby Continues
- April 28, 2004: More Police, Volunteers Search For Missing Mom, Baby
Copyright 2011 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.