Take a look at the 10 biggest wildfires in U.S. history as measured by acreage burned.
10. Wallow Fire (2011) -- 538,049 acres burned in Arizona and New Mexico
9. Murphy Complex Fire (2007) -- 653,100 acres burned in Idaho and Nevada
8. Yellowstone Fires (1988) -- 793,880 acres burned in Montana and Wyoming
7. Silverton Fire (1865) -- 1 million acres burned in Oregon
5. (tie) Great Michigan Fire (1871) -- 1.2 million acres burned in Michigan
5. (tie) Peshtigo Fire (1871) -- 1.2 million acres burned in Wisconsin
4. Taylor Complex Fire (2004) -- 1.3 million acres burned in Alaska
3. California Wildfires (2008) -- 1.5 million acres burned in Northern California
1. (tie) Great Fire of 1910 -- 3 million acres burned in Idaho, Montana and Washington state
1. (tie) Miramichi Fire (1825) -- 3 million acres burned in Maine and New Brunswick
The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.