Toddler swallows 42 fridge magnets

Published On: Feb 15 2013 10:33:00 AM EST
Updated On: Feb 16 2013 12:53:30 AM EST
X-Ray file photo

A toddler in Russia is recovering after swallowing 42 fridge magnets in a matter of minutes.

The boy's mother panicked when she noticed all the magnets from the family's refrigerator were gone after leaving her 16-month-old son alone for a short period of time, The Daily Mail reported.

She rushed him to a local clinic, where a scan revealed dozens of small, round magnets in his abdomen.

Doctors at a hospital near the family's home in Chelyabinsk performed emergency surgery to remove the magnets.

"Over the years, I had to take a variety of foreign bodies including magnets from young patients," Chief pediatric surgeon Nikolay Rostovtsev told The Daily Mail. "Once I removed about 20 of them, but this incident of our little patient has broken all records."

The boy is expected to make a full recovery.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus