Firefighter saves 7-foot snake from fire

Published On: Apr 01 2014 11:17:14 AM EDT
Updated On: Apr 09 2014 04:42:52 PM EDT

A 7-foot-long boa constrictor is safe thanks to the efforts of one Michigan firefighter.

Firefighter Scott Hemmelsbach rescued the pet snake named Chocolate Chip from a house fire Sunday night, The Muskegon Chronicle reported.

Owner Bridget Brewer told the newspaper she almost ran back inside to save the pet she calls her "baby," but hesitated when she saw how quickly the fire was spreading.

Chocolate Chip, meanwhile, was trying to escape, but found itself "trapped" in its terrarium, Hemmelsbach said.

Having experience handling snakes, he carefully approached the reptile from behind its head and moved it to safety.

"I would do it for any creature," Hemmelsbach told the Chronicle.

Brewer, her husband and their pet dog all escaped without injury. Their home is likely a total loss.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus