Grill brush bristle hospitalizes teen

Published On: May 09 2013 03:39:42 PM EDT
Updated On: May 09 2013 04:08:23 PM EDT
Teen swallows grill brush bristle

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

A teen in Washington state is on the mend after swallowing a grill brush bristle during a family barbecue.

Tristan Beck, 16, told Seattle TV station KING he knew something was wrong a few days after the family's weekend dinner.

"I just remember being in school on Wednesday and just feeling like I was being stabbed in the stomach," he said from his hospital bed. "I was falling asleep in class and just not feeling good."

Turns out, the small wire brush bristle that ended up in his food perforated his intestines, requiring surgery.

Tristan's family urged people to check their grill brushes and replace them often.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has put out a special warning for barbecuers to check for loose metal brush bristles here.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus