Firefighters on Wednesday afternoon battled a fire at a home in the 500 block of 1st Street South in Jacksonville Beach that had threatened a multi-story condominium building next door.
Jacksonville Fire-Rescue initially issued a second-alarm due to the exposure to neighboring buildings, but that was cancelled when the fire was contained to the one house.
According to JFRD, two people in the home were alerted when a smoke detector went off and were able to get out safely, but one dog and a bird died in the fire. Firefighters say the fire was caused by a kerosine space heater.
First Street South was closed for part of the afternoon due to the firefighting activity.