2 arrested in killing at nightclub

Published On: Jan 02 2012 03:54:17 PM EST   Updated On: Jan 11 2012 08:25:48 PM EST

Ten days after a deadly shooting in Grand Park that had the neighborhood living on edge, police say they have caught the two killers who opened fire.


Two men have been arrested in connection with a killing at a nightclub in Grand Park on New Year's Day.

Nathaniel Ford, 36, and Terrance Holmes, 22, are charged with murder in the death of 45-year-old James Graham.

Graham, known to the community as Chucky, was co-owner of Chicago Club in a Northwest Jacksonville neighborhood where he was shot.

Police said Ford and Holmes were attempting to get into the club in the early morning hours of New Year's Day and were carrying guns.

When Graham tried to keep the peace by keeping the guns out of the club, police said, they started to fight. Investigators said the two men left the club through the front door, then turned around and started shooting, hitting Graham and two other bystanders before fleeing the scene.

Police said this isn't the first time the suspects have started trouble at the club.

"These individuals evidently had an ongoing problem with him," Lt. Rob Schoonover said. "They'd come up and cause problems at the club, so the owner put into an effect, he patted everyone down coming in, providing no weapons would be allowed in."

Police said that one of the bystanders who was shot is still in a hospital recovering. The other is out of the hospital.

Ford, one of the suspects, was also shot in the leg. Police believe it was self-inflicted. Police interviewed more than 30 witnesses before making the arrests.

The victim's family said the arrests don't ease the pain of losing a loved one.

"It's just a sad situation that my brother is not here, and it's just sinking in now. It's sad," said Tasha Watson, Graham's sister.

Since the killing, the city has started to take notice of the club that many people believe is operating illegally. Lloyd Washington, Grand Park community president, is hopeful someone will shut it down for good.

"If you're going to sit in silence, you're going to suffer in silence," Washington said.

He's encouraging neighbors to speak up about their concerns and is confident the area will be safer without the club around.

But Watson said her family's first concern is making sure all the right people are in jail.

"I really hope justice is served and they get what is due to them, and as long as I'm living, I will be in court, sitting there, making sure justice is served," she said.

Watson said she believes there's one more suspect who needs to be in custody.


The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus