5 more charged in Ga. military militia case

Published On: Sep 11 2012 05:05:26 PM EDT
SAVANNAH, Ga. -

Prosecutors in southeast Georgia have charged five more men in connection with an anti-government militia that authorities say was led by Army soldiers from Fort Stewart.

Atlantic Judicial Circuit District Attorney Tom Durden said Tuesday the men are accused of committing thefts, burglaries and auto break-ins to fund the militia group.

The new charges come after prosecutors last month announced four Fort Stewart soldiers charged with killing two people in December belonged to a militia group they say planned to bomb a park fountain in Savannah, poison apple crops in Washington state and overthrow the U.S. government. Authorities say they spent at least $87,000 on weapons.

Durden says he's been told none of the five latest suspects currently serve in the Army, but at least three of them are former soldiers.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus