9 horses killed in barn fire

Published On: Mar 26 2013 10:42:24 AM EDT
LAKE WORTH, Fla. -

An incident report notes that a fire that killed nine horses started in a tack room filled with appliances.

The report released Monday by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue is in line with preliminary findings when the fire broke out on March 9. According to the report, several items - including microwaves and hot plates - were plugged into a surge protector behind the refrigerator.

The Palm Beach Post reports horse food and supplies were also stored in the tack room.

The 50-year-old barn in Lake Worth didn't have a sprinkler system.

Omar Cepeda, who has rented the barn for three years, told the Post he's battled depression over the loss of the horses. He says the horses cost about $40,000 each.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus