Guy Heinze Jr. awaits trial in 2009 mass murder

Published On: Apr 23 2013 10:27:07 AM EDT   Updated On: Apr 23 2013 07:34:18 PM EDT

A south Georgia man charged with killing eight people -- including members of his family -- was back in court Tuesday. A judge is still trying to set a trial date, nearly four years after the crime.


The Glynn County man accused of killing eight people, including many of his family members, nearly four years ago was back in court Tuesday as the judge tried to set a trial date.

Guy Heinze Jr. is charged with beating to death his father and seven others to death in a mobile home park outside of Brunswick in August 2009. A young boy, 3 years old at the time, is the only one in the home to survived the massacre.

Heinze himself called 911 to report what happened. Since that day, he has maintained his innocence in what has been called the worst mass-killing in Georgia history.

Superior Court Judge Stephen Scarlett said he wants to set the trial for as early as August. There is still a possibility of a change of venue.

Heinze's lawyers demanded the district attorney’s office hand over more evidence they say hasn't been given to them. They also complained about audio tape and video surveillance they believe police either are withholding or have lost.

"There are over 5,000 pages of discovery that are still coming in as of yesterday, and will continue to come in," said Newell Hamilton, Heinze's attorney.

Heinze's defense team asked for the trial to be pushed back to January of next year.

"This case is four years old. The fact of the matter is, it's not going to make that much difference if it's tried in August versus January, with the exception of we will not be as prepared for trial," Hamilton said.

Prosecutors say they are ready to go to trial this summer.

"I've dealt with all these 4,000 pages over the years and you don't hear me whining about the case," said John Johnson with the district attorney's office. "We're ready to go."

The judge did allow the defense more access to evidence and documents in the case, and did not yet set a trial date.  Another hearing was set for early May.

Family members of those killed sat watching in the courtroom, hoping they can soon find some sort of closure. They did not comment as they left Tuesday's hearing.


The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus