Jax Beach house fire threatens condos

Published On: Nov 28 2012 02:56:29 PM EST
Updated On: Dec 03 2012 03:55:49 PM EST
Jax Beach house fire

Photo by Joe Drumm

Jacksonville Fire-Rescue initially issued a second-alarm due to the exposure to neighboring buildings, but that was cancelled when the fire was contained to the one house.

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. -

Firefighters on Wednesday afternoon battled a fire at a home in the 500 block of First Street South in Jacksonville Beach that had threatened a multistory condominium building next door.

Jacksonville Fire-Rescue initially issued a second-alarm due to the exposure to neighboring buildings, but that was canceled when the fire was contained to the one house.

IMAGES: Fire consumes Jacksonville Beach house

According to JFRD, two people in the home were alerted when a smoke detector went off and were able to get out safely, but one dog and a bird died in the fire. Firefighters say the fire was caused by a kerosine space heater.

The structure is likely a total loss.

A VyStar account has been set up for the residents of the home, Shannon and David Hewitt. The account number is 702968426 and is in their daughter's name, Ashleith Brown.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus