Local man dies of flesh eating bacteria

Published On: May 23 2012 10:39:34 PM EDT

It's a story that has made headlines the past couple weeks, after a woman in Georgia was diagnosed with a deadly flesh eating bacteria. Now a Hampton woman said her husband died from a flesh-eating bacteria.

Dorothy Burger, 60, said it hurts a lot to talk about her husband, Paul Burger's death. Paul Burger, 75, died unexpectedly April 30, days after getting ill.

Dorothy said it all started on April 12, when Paul started feeling sick. He went to the emergency room in Starke with complaints about swelling in his mouth. An oral surgeon discovered Paul had a bacterial infection in his mouth.

Dorothy said what happened to him could happen to anyone. Dorothy said he contracted a bacterial infection caused by group A strep bacteria, which is common. It is the same bacteria that causes Strep Throat.

Dorothy said since losing her husband, she's tried to make sure other people don't get blind-sided like she did.

"I don't want to scare anybody - I just want them to be aware, that there is something out there," said Dorothy Burger. "It's not in Georgia, it's not in Florida, it's all over the world."

Doctors do not know how Paul contracted the infection.

To read more about Necrotizing Fasciitis, commonly known as Flesh Eating Bacteria, go to this link: http://www.nnff.org/nnff_factsheet.htm


The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus