Terry Parker High School went on code red lockdown Thursday morning as a precaution after acid overflowed from a soda bottle that was shaken, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
The police bomb squad and Jacksonville Fire-Rescue's hazardous materials team responded to the campus about 8:45 a.m. Police and Duval County school district officials quickly reported there were no injuries and dismissed rumors of a shooting on campus, but didn't release details of the incident until just after 10 a.m.
IMAGES: Terry Parker on lockdown
Police said students were not evacuated, but relocated out of the affected area, and no one was ever in danger. School officials said continued as best as possible during the lockdown.
"The teacher kept teaching," student Dustin Rudd said. "We told our parents what was happening. Some of them were coming to get us; some of them weren't."
Police continued to investigate and kept the lockdown in place until late morning, but said no one had been identified as the person who brought the acid-filled bottle onto campus.
"I don't know if it was a prank," Officer Shannon Hartley said. "I don't want to minimize an incident like this. We take it very seriously. We want to make sure it's investigated very thoroughly."
Police said if someone is identified as having intentionally brought a homemade explosive on campus they could face a felony charge.
Rumors of a shooting on campus prompted parents to show up at the school, but both the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and School Board police say there was never a weapon or any gunfire, and reiterated that there were no injuries.
"It was like, 'Boom!' And I was like ducking," junior Briana Elias said.
"She came back and she said, 'They shooting,'" junior Justin Watkins said. "And we thought she was playing. Then a minute later the principal came on the intercom and said it was a code red, and we got on the floor."
While school was not canceled, police did allow parents wanting to check their children out of class into the bus loop off Townsend Boulevard. A line of cars wrapped around the school for blocks.
"I was scared to death," said one woman who showed up to get her two children out of school.
One parent said his son texted him saying an acid bomb went off, filling a hallway with smoke, but there was no chaos among the students.
"It's ridiculous," one grandparent said. "It's a shame we can't send our kids to school and they been safe every day."