Man dies after roach eating contest in Broward Co.

Published On: Oct 08 2012 05:49:18 PM EDT
Updated On: Oct 08 2012 06:23:56 PM EDT

Edward Archbold

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. -

Broward County authorities say the winner of a roach eating contest died shortly after eating dozens of roaches and worms.

Several contestants ate insects to win a python, the grand prize of the Friday night contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.

The Broward Sheriff's Office says the winner of the challenge, 32-year-old Edward Archbold, became ill soon after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The sheriff's office said Monday it was waiting for an autopsy report to determine a cause of death.

No other contestants became sick after the contest.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus