Updated On: Jul 05 2012 10:40:50 PM EDT
Republican Pat Smith is trying to unseat fellow Republican Beth Soles in the race for Camden County tax commissioner.
Because there is no Democrat in the race, the winner of the July 31 primary will serve the next four years in the office.
FAMILY: Two sons, a daughter and two grandchildren
OCCUPATION: Head cashier and customer service at Lowe's in Kingsland. A total of 27 years in customer service.
EDUCATION: Florida Community College Jacksonville; University of Georgia continued education program. Government. Accounting, debt administration, treasury management
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Ran for tax commissioner in 2007
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE TOP THREE ISSUES IN THIS RACE?
- Customer Service. With extensive training the office staff will be able to provide the best possible product to the community. It is very important that we be able to communicate with the tax payers in a friendly professional manner and provide the best quality customer service possible.
- With our economy like it is, I would like to see the County and the cities (St.Marys, Kingsland and Woodbine) work together and Consolidate the collection of property taxes. As it is, anyone living within the cities is receiving two (2) tax bills, one from the County and one from the City. Consolidation would be a big savings for the cities and for a reasonable agreed on rate, the county would be responsible for creating and mailing out one tax bill. This would save paper, time, postage, insurance and benefits.
- I'll have an Open Door policy for employees and the taxpayers. What ever problem comes up I will be there to provide the answers needed.
HOW DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP VOTERS IN A WAY OTHERS IN THIS RACE CAN'T?
- "A Friendly, Knowledgeable staff with great customer service. The taxpayers needs are our number one concern."
WHAT WOULD YOU HOPE TO BE REMEMBERED FOR ACCOMPLISHING AFTER SERVING IN THIS OFFICE?
- "That I did what I promised. I gave the Taxpayers a Tax Office that they could be proud of and always feel welcome."