Plantation apartment fire sparked by lit cigarette, fire officials say

Published On: Nov 12 2012 07:21:32 AM EST

Two apartments are destroyed by a cigarette-sparked fire in Plantation.

PLANTATION, Fla. -

Fire officials said the fire at a Plantation apartment complex that destroyed at least two units and left several families displaced Sunday morning, was sparked by a lit cigarette left on a couch.

Witnesses said the flames broke out around 8:30 Sunday morning at the Lake Park Garden apartment complex, inside a corner unit and spread to several others. By the time firefighters arrived, flames were shooting up into the air and part of the roof had collapsed.

Officials said no one was injured in the fire. In addition to the two units that were destroyed, at least nine others suffered severe smoke and water damage. It is still unclear how many families have been affected.

The Red Cross is assisting six of the displaced families who need a place to stay.

Gallery

PHOTOS: Plantation apartment complex fire

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus