Terror alert lifted at Eiffel Tower following bomb threat

Published On: Mar 31 2013 07:45:16 AM EDT
PARIS, FRANCE -

A terror alert at the Eiffel Tower has been cleared after the monument was evacuated Saturday when an anonymous caller phoned in a bomb threat. An official said it is set to reopen

A Paris police official said Saturday that nearly 1,400 people were evacuated following a request from tower operators after the warning Saturday. Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs for possible explosives, and set up a broad security perimeter. No explosives were found.

French authorities have stepped up counter terrorism measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against Al Qaeda-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.

The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings -- at least once last year and twice in 2011. The 1,063-foot tower is one of the world's top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus