Attorney: Jones-Drew 'viciously attacked' client

Published On: May 30 2013 11:06:58 AM EDT   Updated On: May 30 2013 08:27:52 PM EDT

VIDEO: More about accusations being made against Jaguar Maurice Jones Drew. A lawyer for the Conch house in Saint Augustine says a security guard for the restaurant was "viciously attacked and severely injured," at the Conch House.


An attorney in the case of a man who claims he was knocked unconscious by Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew during Reggae Sunday at the Conch House Marina Resort says Jones-Drew "viciously attacked and severely injured" his client.

Attorney Gregory Anderson, who's representing the Conch House, said that at the time Jones-Drew attacked Conch House security officer Kasim Howard, 31, of St. Augustine, Howard was attempting to protect several women from harassment by members of Jones-Drew's entourage.

Prior to the attack, Howard never saw, spoke with, nor confronted Jones-Drew, Anderson said.

He said Conch House security video captures Jones-Drew rapidly approaching Howard from the back left side and sucker punching him in the jaw. Anderson said that as a result of the attack, Howard suffered a dislocated jaw and spinal injuries. He was hospitalized, later released and is recovering at home, Anderson said.

"The current attempts by some to characterize this as a 'scuffle' are misleading and unsupported by any evidence," Anderson said in a news release. "Any fair-minded person watching the video has to conclude that Mr. Jones-Drew initiated an unprovoked attack on Mr. Howard and then literally ran away from the scene. The videos, in addition to virtually all eyewitness accounts, unequivocally prove that Mr. Jones-Drew attacked the security officer without provocation."

Jones-Drew's agent tweeted shortly after the news broke: "Maurice was there and was not involved. As soon as an altercation broke out, Maurice exited the premises."

The St. Augustine Police Department is continuing its criminal investigation. The state attorney's office will decide if charges will be filed.

"It could take a couple weeks, a month maybe. Wouldn't think more than that," police spokesman Mark Samson said. "They'd take it from there with their investigators."

Samson said Jones-Drew is cooperating with the investigation and would be returning to St. Augustine to talk with detectives.


The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus