Casey Anthony judge retiring from Florida bench

By Associated Press
Published On: Jul 07 2014 03:39:12 PM EDT
Updated On: Jul 07 2014 03:42:38 PM EDT

Chief Judge Belvin Perry

ORLANDO, Fla. -

A Florida judge who gained an international audience while presiding over Casey Anthony's murder trial three years ago said Monday he is retiring after nearly 25 years on the bench.

Chief Judge Belvin Perry of Florida's Ninth Judicial Circuit turned in a letter stating he intended to resign at the end of August. The circuit covers Orange and Osceola counties in metro Orlando.

The 64-year-old Perry presided over Anthony's 2011 murder trial.

Anthony was acquitted of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, following a trial that drew worldwide attention. She was convicted of making false statements to police and got credit for time served.

In an interview last year on NBC's "Today" show, Perry said he thought there was sufficient evidence for a conviction on a first-degree murder charge, even though much of the evidence was circumstantial.

Perry was criticized by Anthony's attorneys for his statements.

Perry started his legal career as a prosecutor in Orlando in 1977. He ran for judge in 1989 and won, becoming the first African-American to be elected to the Ninth Circuit without first being appointed.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus