Child electrocuted and killed in backyard pool

Published On: Apr 18 2014 10:02:34 AM EDT

Police are investigating after they say a 7-year-old died at his South Florida home while swimming in his pool.  They believe the cause was a faulty pool light. 

North Miami Police say he was racing a friend Sunday in the backyard pool while a nanny was watching him.  They say Calder Sloan was electrocuted, sending a jolt through him and launching him out of the water. 

According to The Miami Herald, Calder's father, Chris Sloan, says the pool light had been fixed by a contractor last year. 

According to North Florida Miami building department records, there's no sign of permits pulled or inspections in the past year.

Since Calder's death the family has stayed elsewhere.


The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus