Cigarette may have caused small apartment fire

Published On: Jun 04 2014 04:22:40 AM EDT
Updated On: Jun 04 2014 07:11:17 AM EDT
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

A carelessly discarded cigarette may be to blame for a small fire at an apartment complex on the Southside early Wednesday morning.

JFRD said the fire started at the Bentley Green Apartments on Princeton Square Boulevard, near I-95 and Baymeadows Road, sometime after midnight.

A resident awoke from his sleep to the smell of smoke and called 911.

The small fire created a big hole in the wall of one of the apartment buildings, causing about $2,000 in damages according to JFRD.

Firefighters remained on scene through 4 a.m. cleaning debris left behind from the fire and water.

No one was displaced from their homes due to the fire.

JFRD has not confirmed the cause of the fire, but a resident of the apartment says firefighters told him it was an accident and that a cigarette may be the cause.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus