Easter dangers for your pets

Published On: Apr 17 2014 03:15:33 PM EDT
Updated On: Apr 18 2014 06:45:00 AM EDT

During the week of Easter, the Pet Poison Helpline receives a nearly 200 percent increase in calls concerning pet poisoning. The simplest Easter goodies can be harmful, or even deadly to your cat or dog.

Kids love Easter egg hunts. They find most of the colorful Easter eggs you hide, but what about those eggs that no one finds, and later your cat or dog does?  If they are the real thing, it's important to note that noiled eggs go bad in two hours or less outside.  Eating them can make your pet sick.  And if you hide fake eggs, the shiny plastic eggs may give them intestinal problems or require surgery, if swallowed.

Another danger are Easter lilies. They’re one of the most poisonous plants for pets, especially cats.  Felines that eat the flower can die from kidney failure in less than two days.

The worst, though, are those chocolate bunnies. The fat in chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats and dogs, and the stimulants can cause death.

If your pet eats or swallows something they're not supposed to, contact your veterinarian immediately.  If your vet is closed, call an emergency vet center. You can also contact the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus