Some health officials now suspect food poisoning in the deaths of two greyhounds and the illnesses of 97 others at the Daytona Beach Kennel Club & Poker Room.
On April 6, kennel workers found one dog dead in a pool of blood and another one gravely ill. State reports show that 97 other greyhounds in the same kennel exhibited either vomiting or diarrhea or both. The gravely ill dog was euthanized, while the others recovered.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports the dogs fell ill after being fed a mixture of raw beef. State officials say they're not sure whether the problem was with the food or its handling.
The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering is still looking into the incident.