Maurice Jones-Drew calls it 'unfortunate incident'
Updated On: Jun 10 2013 08:16:15 PM EDT
Meeting with reporters for the first time since he was accused of sucker-punching a St. Augustine restaurant security guard over Memorial Day weekend, Maurice Jones-Drew says he can't talk about the incident, but it's unfortunate, a distraction for his team and painful for his family.
The Jaguars running back called the May 26 altercation at the Conch House Marina Resort, "an unfortunate incident."
UNCUT: MJD meets the press
"In the offseason, you can go out and do what you would like," Jones-Drew said. "We went out; we were having a good time, and an unfortunate situation happened. That was it."
"Throughout my career I tried to stay out of media in that light as a distraction to the team," he added.
Jones-Drew is currently named in a misdemeanor battery complaint, but no criminal charges have been filed.
St. Augustine police said last week they had completed all their interviews into the altercation except for Jones-Drew, although they said he has been cooperative and agreed to meet with investigators.
At Monday's news conference, he would not say Monday whether or not he has been questioned by St. Augustine detectives.
"I can't speak on that," Jones Drew said. "It's an ongoing investigation. I think, in the end, everything will come out."
Jones-Drew had been training in Miami, but returned to Jacksonville on Monday to participate in the team's mandatory mini-camp that begins Tuesday.
"I'm get trying to concentrate on football and get myself back in shape," Jones-Drew said. "That's why we had this deal today, so we don't take away from what the team's done and what they're going to do during this week."
Witnesses told police Jones-Drew punched security guard Kasim Howard on the Sunday before Memorial Day. An attorney for the restaurant says the surveillance video clearly shows Jones-Drew punching Howard while he was trying to intervene in a confrontation between one of Jones-Drew's entourage and another security guard.
Police spokesman Mark Samson said that's not necessarily the case.
"We've enhanced it, and from what I'm told, it doesn't change much," Samson said. "It still shows the same group of people at the Conch House. It didn't enhance enough to make out clear faces or anything like that."
Jones-Drew's agent said the week after the incident that the player was not involved in the altercation.
"Through my career, I've tried to stay out of the media in that light," Jones-Drew said Monday. "I've been talking to the guys. I've been had a lot of support of the staff; a lot of support of my teammates. They've been helping me get through some tough times."
Police said the results of its investigation were sent to the state attorney's office last week. It would be up to the state attorney's office what, if any, charges will be filed.
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.