Mom thanks firefighters for saving 2-year-old son's life

By Ashley Mitchem, Morning traffic, news reporter, amitchem@wjxt.com
Published On: Feb 04 2014 12:49:07 PM EST
Updated On: Feb 04 2014 06:07:59 PM EST

VIDEO: Nassau County firefighter's came to the rescue when Mandy Conner's 2-year-old son, Clyde, ingested a bottle of his autistic sister's prescription pills on January 17th. Tuesday they all met up at Station 70 to say thanks for saving the little boy's life.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

When you think of what firefighters do, you probably go straight to the image of them putting out fires. But that's just one part of their job.

Firefighters have emergency medical technician and first responder training, along with a paramedic's license, because most of their calls are medical calls.

Just ask Mandy Conner, a mother of three. Jan. 17 was a day she'll never forget.

"It was the scariest day of my life, by far," Conner said.

Her 2-year-old son Clyde got a hold of his autistic sister's medicine bag. Conner found him and the empty bottle of medicine, called 911, and within 8 minutes the EMTs were on scene, ready to take action.

Her son had consumed all 20 pills inside the bottle. It could have been fatal if the rescue team didn't get to him in time.

"I thought he was going to die," Conner said. "I mean, he was barely breathing."

Her son was rushed to Wolfson Children's Hospital, and within hours he went from barely breathing to breathing on his own.

Conner said she wants the firefighters to know how grateful she is to them for helping save her son's life.

"It really changed my way of viewing them, and I'm very thankful that we have them nearby and they came so quickly to get him," she said.

Conner, her son Clyde and one of her daughters paid Station 70 in Nassau County a visit. Conner brought them food, introduced them to her son and thanked them.

Lt. Chris Gamble, an 18-year firefighter, was one of the lifesavers.

"We don't really care for all the lights and the glamour, but yeah, just having someone stop by and say thanks and get to see the end result," he said.

The end result that a young boy is alive thanks to them.

Gamble also said these accidents are preventable. One way to do this is to make sure the medicine bottle cap is screwed on to a child-lock setting.

"Parents need to make sure their medications are stored out of the reach of children," Gamble said. "Obviously, locked is even better."

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus