Police: 4 adults hallucinate from Angel Trumpet
Updated On: Jun 26 2014 06:40:00 PM EDT
Four adults were hallucinating, "seriously impaired" and "totally unaware of their surroundings" from drinking Angel Trumpet, a poisonous plant, on Thursday morning, according to Jacksonville police.
Police said two children in the house at 5291 Collins Road on the Westside but were in good condition.
A neighbor arrived and told police the people had cut up an Angel Trumpet plant and added it to water, then microwaved it.
"Inside and outside, they tried to come out and they just fall down and have to go back in and have somebody help them go back in," neighbor Odella Coons said.
Two of the victims went to Orange Park Medical Center, where one became combative and had to be handcuffed. The other two went to St. Vincent's Medical Center.
"It was crazy, cops all in the yard, the ambulance," neighbor Amber Richter said. "All I seen was somebody being taken away from overdose. It's been crazy."
"It seems like you can almost set your watch and your calendar -- every two weeks something happens at this place," neighbor Rev. Chris Dixon said.
Dixon called the Department of Children and Families, fearful for the children.
DCF spokesman John Harrell said the office started investigating the home two weeks ago, looking for evidence of neglect. But with the latest developments, investigators' concerns have increased significantly.
"We want to make sure that the children are safe," Harrell said. "We want to make sure that if there are any services we can provide to help them. There's a lot of other information that we need to get, and so we are now actively investigating."
A family member arrived and took custody of the children.
Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.