Teen's alleged killer accused of violating conditions of pretrial release
Updated On: Jun 20 2014 08:12:24 PM EDT
The man accused of beating a teen to death at a party last year is now back in jail, waiting for a hearing to determine if he violated conditions of his pretrial release.
Christopher Hoffman, 26, was out on bond while awaiting trial for second-degree murder in the death of 19-year-old Ryan Ford (pictured below) in January 2013.
Prosecutors said Hoffman was on house arrest but had permission to go to the barber shop. But they said he went straight from there to The Pig restaurant and was seen drinking alcohol.
The state said someone saw him and called police, who pulled surveillance video inside the restaurant.
Hoffman was originally facing a manslaughter charge. Prosecutors upgraded the charge in September, but Hoffman was allowed to stay at home.
Police said Hoffman helped beat Ford until he was unconscious during a bonfire that hundreds showed up for in the woods off Old Saint Augustine Road near Baptist Medical Center South.
Friends rushed Ford to the hospital, but he died from his injuries.
Hoffman will remain in the Duval County jail until at least Wednesday, when Judge Mallory Cooper has asked both sides to subpoena witnesses to help the court decide if Hoffman was in violation of his pretrial services contract.
Hoffman's trial is set for July 14.
Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.