Sharks assistant files suit over post-game assault

Published On: Aug 06 2014 10:49:20 AM EDT
Updated On: Jul 17 2014 01:37:26 PM EDT

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office booking photo of Cedric Walker

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

The assistant general manager of the Jacksonville Sharks, Tim Johnson, has filed a lawsuit against San Jose Sabercats defensive coach Cedric Walker, the Sabercats and the Arena Football League over an incident after a game at the Jacksonville Arena last year.

The suit claims intentional infliction of emotional distress by Walker, and negligence against the Sabercats and the AFL, claiming that they knew or should have known Walker was dangerous.

The incident happened in a hallway after a game in May 2013. Walker was charged with battery on a person over 65 years of age. The arrest report say Walker punched Johnson and slammed him into a wall. Walker claimed Johnson called him "boy," and he told Johnson not to call him that. He says Johnson called him "boy" again, and that’s when the assault took place.

In January Walker pleaded guilty to the charge, was placed on 12 months probation, ordered to pay about $20,000 in restitution and take anger management class.

The lawsuit was filed in April. The Sabercats and AFL have filed motions to dismiss.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus