JFRD: Space heater sparks house fire

Published On: Jan 13 2014 08:41:20 AM EST   Updated On: Jan 13 2014 10:41:03 AM EST

A Brentwood family escaped their home Monday morning after a space heater sparked a fire, according to Jacksonville Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters were called to 612 East 28th Street 7:30 a.m.  Upon arrival, they were able to extinguish the blaze in about 10 minutes, according to JFRD.

Jameka James said she was just getting her kids ready for school when they noticed a fire in the back of their home.

"I was getting ready to walk my oldest boy outside, to the bus stop down the street, when we saw the black smoke coming from the back of the house. We ran back there to see and the whole back room was on fire. We just tried to get the kids and get everything, and run out the house."

Jameka, her boyfriend, three children and their pet pit bull were able to make it out of the home without injuries.

"I lost everything and I don't have a place to stay. I had a hard time trying to get this place... Just shock... I just can't believe this is really happening--I just moved there three months ago," said Jameka.

Preliminary investigations show the fire was caused by a space heater that was left on in the area of the back porch, according to JFRD.

Firefighters estimate the fire caused about $15,000 in damage.

Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary shelter and other necessities.

"I'm happy that nothing happened to my children, or me or my boyfriend. But I mean, it's still going to be hard now. I just tried to fight to get all of that together by myself and I don't know. Now I lost everything. It's like starting over again... I guess the only thing I can do is call on God. And maybe he can touch somebodys heart to give us a place to stay or help us with food and clothes. I don't know if God can touch somebody's heart to help us because I don't have any help," said Jameka.


The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus