Zimmerman questions use of voice expert at murder trial

Published On: May 06 2013 05:32:36 PM EDT

In less than two months, George Zimmerman is scheduled to go to trial in the killing of Trayvon Martin. Now we've learned there will not be a separate "stand your ground hearing" beforehand.

SANFORD, Fla. -

Former neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman is questioning the expected use of a voice recognition expert at his murder trial next month.

Zimmerman's attorney filed a motion made public Monday asking for a hearing to determine whether testimony from a voice recognition expert would be allowed at trial.
    
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for fatally shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last year in a gated community in Sanford during a struggle. Zimmerman is pleading not guilty.
    
Neighbors called 911 during the struggle and cries of help can be heard on the calls. Martin's family claims the voice is that of the South Florida teen.
    
Zimmerman's father has said in court he believes the cries are from his son.
    
Zimmerman's attorney says jurors could be confused by an expert's testimony.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of News4Jax or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus