Florida Senate, District 4
Updated On: Oct 08 2012 09:53:57 PM EDT
After the redistricting process earlier this year, Florida Senate District 4 now covers about half of Duval County and all of Nassau County. Veteran Republican state Rep. Aaron Bean won a grueling (and expensive) primary battle with Rep. Mike Weinstein and will face Democrat Nancy Soderberg and two write-in candidates in November's general election.
Scroll down to read about the candidates.
RESIDENCE: Fernandina Beach
FAMILY: Wife, Abby; 3 sons – Bradley (18), Gray (14) and Walker (12)
OCCUPATION: Relationship development officer for Shands Jacksonville; small business owner of Putt-Putt Fernandina Beach and co-owner of 8 Flags Insurance Company
EDUCATION: Bachelor's in finance from Jacksonville University
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Florida House of Representatives (2000-2008); commissioner of Fernandina Beach (1996-1999); mayor of Fernandina Beach (2 terms - 1997-1999)
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE TOP THREE ISSUES IN THIS RACE?
- Creating jobs – work to continually attract jobs and help companies grow jobs.
- Education – work for more choices for parents and less paperwork for teachers.
- Health care – work to bring a marketplace of health care to Floridians and create a sustainable safety net that Florida can afford for the long term.
HOW DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP VOTERS IN A WAY OTHERS IN THIS RACE CAN'T?
- "My experience both at the local and state level will help me represent the communities of Northeast Florida."
WHAT WOULD YOU HOPE TO BE REMEMBERED FOR ACCOMPLISHING AFTER SERVING IN THIS OFFICE?
- "I want to be remembered as a true fighter for limited government, helping to bring affordable health care to small businesses and preparing students for college or the workforce by changing our education system."
OCCUPATION: President and CEO of Soderberg Solutions; visiting distinguished scholar at University of North Florida; author
EDUCATION: Masters, foreign science, Georgetown University, 1984; bachelor's, economics, Vanderbilt University, 1980; bachelor's, French, Vanderbilt University, 1980
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Member of National Security Council and alternate representative to the United Nations during Clinton administration
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: NancySoderberg.ngpvanhost.com
This candidate has not responded to the WJXT/News4Jax.com questionnaire.
Write-in candidates who qualified in the Florida Senate, District 4 race:
- Kyle Alexander Bedran
- Patrick Dewayne Mency